Monday, March 28, 2011

Governor Kitzhaber Applauds Federal Approval for Curry County Disaster Assistance

(SALEM, Ore.) –The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced it will fund repairs and replace damaged public infrastructure in Curry County just four days after Governor Kitzhaber sent a formal request for a Federal Disaster Declaration to President Obama. The Port of Brookings-Harbor was damaged by tsunami waves that hit the Oregon Coast on March 11. “I am grateful for the speed with which our Federal partners have made this assistance available,” Governor Kitzhaber said. “It will help us quickly rebuild the port and get Oregonians back to work.” State and federal disaster assessment teams estimated damages at $6.7 million to the Port of Brookings- Harbor. Curry County met the state’s criteria to request federal disaster assistance. FEMA will now begin working with Curry County and the state Office of Emergency Management on scopes of work, design and construction schedules and reimbursements. The Federal share of assistance is not less than 75 percent of the eligible cost for emergency measures and permanent restoration. The remaining 25 percent is the responsibility of the applicant. With the Federal declaration, damage assessments will begin in Coos and Lincoln Counties, where ports were also damaged, to determine if they meet assistance thresholds. “We’ll continue to work with Curry County until they are back on their feet. We’re also looking toward the future to make sure we’re prepared for an emergency,” said Kitzhaber. Attached is a summary of the Federal Disaster Declaration. The Governor’s website has easy access to make donations to recovery efforts in Curry County and in Japan. For more information please visit: For more information about FEMA’s Public Assistance Program: For the formal request to President Obama: